Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Taking Time For *You* Is Essential

Photo by Alice Popkorn on Flickr
Do you have such a busy schedule that you've forgotten who you really are? If you strip away the part of you that's related to work and social engagements, does it seem like there's nothing left? Or that what does exist there seems almost foreign to you?

I've recently started to get up earlier each morning in order to have quality, undisturbed *me* time. Time to think -- to check in with myself and evaluate how things are going. Time to write and read about stuff that's important to me. And time to do nothing but relax. Surprisingly, the biggest hurdle here is not making up for the missed hour or two of sleep, but struggling with a sense that I'm being selfish or too self-absorbed by indulging in this "luxury."

After all, what measurable, immediate benefit is there to *me* time? Aren't there dishes that need to be done, a closet that could be more organized? A backlog of Email to check? Couldn't I use that time to learn Spanish? Aren't there people I could be helping right at that moment?

But the irony is, if I don't take time to help me, I can't adequately help others. Replenishing my emotional batteries and getting in touch with my current feelings and desires is key to me being a better employee, wife, and human being.

And while yes, maybe "me time" would be a great time to learn a foreign language -- if that is indeed what I want to do, deep down. Or maybe I meditate and realize I really want to learn Chinese instead. Or I really want to take up professional photography. Or what I really want to do is reconnect with old school chums. The point is, sometimes the only way to cut through the extreme clutter of work, social media, and other distractions is to mark out time per day (often very early in the morning, but sometimes later at night depending on your preference) for yourself and "check in."

Another area of resistance to this idea I've observed in some people is a fear of actually connecting with Oneself...as if there are some scary and suppressed things that await. Sometimes the best way to deal with unresolved issues is to keep yourself so busy that you never face them. While therapy might be good at dealing with those issues, "me time" does not have to get that up-close-and-personal with yourself. Use that time to read. Use that time to dance. Use that time to browse through a recipe book. Just do something that doesn't involve work or a computer/smart phone screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment