Monday, November 5, 2012

The Socrates "Three Questions" Test For News And Gossip


I really liked this anecdote attributed to Socrates -- which I came across in the book "The Attractor Factor" by Joe Vitale -- about avoiding the poison of negative news and gossip. Please don't feel like I'm translating this direct from the original Greek -- I'm paraphrasing.

One day a man ran up to Socrates, shouting to him: "I've got some mind-blowing news to tell you!"

Socrates held up his hand calmly and interrupted the man:

"This sounds cool, but I have three questions to ask you before you impart this news to me."

The guy says: "Sure."

THE THREE QUESTIONS:

1. "Do you personally know the news you are about to tell me to be true?"

2. "Is this news you are telling me about someone you know personally?"

3. "Is this news positive or negative?"

So the guy answered, respectively, "No, no, and negative."

Socrates replied: "I think I'll pass, then."

No comments:

Post a Comment