Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chia Seeds Make The Jump From Novelty To Health Food

what chia is most commonly known for
I'm sure everybody knows about Chia Pets, those clay figurines that grow "hair" and "fur" in the form of plants. Now chia seeds themselves are becoming the latest health fad, being recognized for its fiber, protein and -- most importantly -- omega-3 fatty acid content.

According to The New York Times, people are sprinkling chia seeds in their yogurt, cookie dough, smoothies, and cereal. Which all reminds me of a similar fad that hit several years ago -- flax seeds, also high in omega-3s. I used to add flax to my oats and yogurt, and the seeds are also a part of some of the pre-made cereals I purchase.

chia seeds (image from Wikipedia)
But according to the founder of Mamma Chia fruit juices, customers were complaining about the "rancid taste" it had when ground up. Janie Hoffman recalls what a friend told her about chia vs. flax:

"She said it had no taste, it’s high in antioxidants, huge in omega-3, a far superior seed. In short, she made me feel like an idiot — no one was using flax seed anymore."

And the point about chia -- also known as Salvia hispanica -- tasting good when milled is an important one, as its health benefits seem to increase significantly after doing so. One study conducted by Dole indicated the following:
"Significantly more alpha-linolenic acid in omega-3 reached the bloodstream and was converted into eicosapentaenoic acid, a long-chain fatty acid considered good for the heart, when the seeds were milled rather than whole."
Dole is using chia as the first ingredient for their new line of Nutrition Plus products, introducing Chia and Fruit Clusters. Another brand I've mentioned on this blog before, Nature's Path, has about eight different products incorporating chia.

As for me, I haven't tried chia seeds yet, though I'm willing to give them a shot. Always a little wary about these fads and wish to do a bit more research, though some have paid off -- for instance, eating whole oats has definitely cut my cholesterol. Let's see if chia seeds is yet another effective component in my health arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment